- Sex: M
- Born: 1845 in Cedar County, Missouri
- Died: April 3, 1865 in Devalls Bluff, Arkansas
- Notes: John enrolled in the Fourth Arkansas Union Cavalry on October 1, 1863 along with his two cousins, Joseph Churchman and William H. Churchman, and his uncle, Stephen Churchman. During his brief life, he became renown as a bear hunter. An article, A Mad Bear Runs over Two Hunters Leaping Astride of a Bears Back, written by S.C. Turnbo found in The Turnbo Manuscripts vol. 6 describes one encounter that John had with a bear.
Father: Jacob E. Churchman, b. 1814 in Tennessee
Mother: Mary Ezell, b. 1816 in Tennessee
- Research by Randell Jones
- "Fourth Arkansas Union Cavalry - Service Records" by Desmond Walls Allen, page 46
- The Turnbo Manuscripts located at the Springfield-Greene County Library website.
Please send corrections, additions or comments to Vici Churchman