Francis McClintock Churchman
Francis M. Churchman
(Click on picture for larger image...)
- Sex: M
- Born: April 5, 1833 in Wilmington, Delaware
- Died: August 23, 1891 at his home, "Hillside" - six miles SE of Indianapolis, Indiana
- Notes: Here is a very brief biographical sketch of Francis that was written by his son, Henry C. Churchman:
"My father, Francis M. Churchman, a banker, was a man of high character and utmost integrity, whose ability was recognized outside of his local community. On more than one occasion he was offered and refused to accept, high official positions in the Treasury Department at Washington. He died at "Hillside", his beautiful country home, six miles southwest of Indianapolis, on the 23rd day of August, 1891."
The book, So This Was Hillside written by Frank Lindley Churchman, describes two pieces of property that have been continuously owned and occupied for approximately one hundred years by three generations of Churchmans. The first piece of property is forty acres comprising the homestead named "Hillside". The second piece of property is two hundred acres lying immediately south of Hillside, known as Beech Grove Farm. This land was purchased by Francis M. Churchman in 1865. At that time it was a
long, tedious trip from Indianapolis, only accessible by an indirect route from the city. Hillside was located six miles southeast of the center of Indianapolis at the southeast corner of what is now Churchman and Emerson Avenues in Franklin Township.
To read more about Francis McClintock Churchman, please click here.
Father: Micajah Churchman, b. August 7, 1791
Mother: Sarah M. May -- widow of Rev. Thomas May and daughter of Francis and Mary McClintock of Philadelphia, PA
Family 1: Anna J. Churchman -- adopted daughter of William H. Churchman and Mary Marshall -- d. June 19, 1902 while on a visit to her daughter, Nettie, in Pittsburgh, PA.
October 12, 1859
- Nettie Churchman, b. May 19, 1860 in Janesville, Wisconsin
- Anna Lindley Churchman, b. April 20, 1863 -- d. July 17, 1865 at "Hillside"
- William Francis Churchman, b. January 22, 1865
- Edward Micajah Churchman, b. June 21, 1869
- Frank Fletcher Churchman, b. August 11, 1872
- Henry Cottman Churchman, b. June 29, 1875
- Robert McClintock Churchman, b. December 22, 1877
- "So This Was Hillside" by Frank Lindley Churchman, 1979; Appendix - "Account of the Churchman Family", prepared by William H. Churchman; "History of the Churchman Family Continued" by Henry C. Churchman
- Picture from "So This Was Hillside" by Frank Lindley Churchman, 1979
Please send corrections, additions or comments to Vici Churchman